Saturday, May 31, 2014

Just to catch you up

Sorry about my absence but it turned out that my laptop's hard disk was partly burned out and I'm wainting for it to be repaired. In the meantime I'm using my dad's ancient computer and everything I try to do takes forever so I just couldn't spare the nerves to try and prepare a post. 
Sadly enough once I manage to get my laptop back I'll be quite busy with exams and papers so I won't have the time to post very often in July. 

Still, I feel quite guilty for not posting so I'd like to share the five outfits I created last week for yet another amazing competition hosted by Stardoll's Most Wanted.
This one was simply called the Fashion Challenge and each day we had to create an outfit for a different topic.
*I will add the items I have used for each outfit as soon as I get a little free time after I get my laptop back. 

Day one: Stripes and Florals


 As you can see we had to mix stripes and floral prints in the main pieces of clothing. Unfortunately none of the floral items I own looked good with strpies so I improvised and used this beautiful tattoo from Ink'd to decorate the dress worn as skirt.
In the Byzantine Empire this particular shade of purple used to represent power and royalty and I decided to use it in the top and the shoes as well to give the outfit a regal finish.

Day two: Cheap and Chic


For the second challange we had to use only free clothes. Luckily, we were allowed to accessorize our outfits with non-free items. I have over 150 freebies buut most of them are quite bad - the colors are odd, the prints are too weird, the shapes are unflattering to say the least and most of the designs are flat. Not to mention the lack of basic free clothes - a well-fitted black/white blazer, a nice plain top, ect. 
I decied on a simple business casual outfit with brightly colored accessories.

Day three: Overall Overhaul


For me that was the hardest day. We had to crate an outfit focused on denim overalls and, as most people with any fashion sense, I hate overalls! In the end I decied to go full hipster and crate an outfit that screams "I'm too cool to care it's not the 90s anymore - I can wear whatver the fuck I want!"
Now that I'm looking back at the look, I wish I added more tattoos but whatever!

Day four:  Military Chic


In my younger and more impressionable years (yeah, I'm misquoting The Great Gastby) I was crazy about camo prints and army green. As my style matured the only part of miliraty inspired fashion I still like are the jackets. So naturallly when I saw the theme for day four I knew I was gonna focus on an army jacket. 
Both me and the amazing Katya.Desmont went for a little more controversial looks kinda inspired by the Nazi unforms during WW II (designed by Hugo Boss). As I was doing my research I found out that to this day there is such a thing as Nazi chic and that for some reason it is huge in Asia. Now, I cannot emphasize enough how ashamed and  revolted I am as a human being by the horrors of the Third Reich and to ensure everyone I have no sympathy neither for the regime nor for anyone that approves of it. All that being said, when we are talking about miliraty chic my mind always go right to the Gestapo uniforms.
Still, I liked Katya's outfit so much and I really didn't like to copy it but no other outfit I created had the same appeal as the one shown above. 
It has that fetish/dominatrix vibe that was super tendy back in 2011. But what I like most about it is the way the acents make the eyes go from right (the one earring and the uneven collar) to left (the single glove) to right again (the boot shown in the slit of the skirt).

Day five: Opposites Attract in Layers


The final task was to create an outfit using both the mismatching and the layering trend. Once I saw it I thought it was doing to be extremely difficult but after I started with the outfit it literally come together on it's own. I'm more than happy with final result - it has a lot of everything - leather, stripes, tartan, polka dots and even feathers and fur! And even though the prints and fabrics are so different, the color scheme makes them fit toghether quite nicely. 
For me this is a modern twist of the classic 90s grunge style.
A.

P.S.: Take your time to visit the links for each day and see all stunning outfits other people have posted in the comments, it's totally worth it!

P.P.S.: I just saw I had an old draft waining to be posted so I'm gonna edit it in a bit and share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment