Thursday, September 25, 2014

Haul: Nelly


Last Friday we finally got a new collection of Nelly, heavily marked (as seen above) as been one of the few remaining real brands on Stardoll. I do like the comparison of the virtual clothes with real versions, as evident by my tenancy to try and show something similar in the "Wear it all" section here on the blog. 
So, back to the two new floors of Nelly. I know a lot of people loved the collection, and generality I did too - I bought two thirds of it, but I can't help complain about the drop of quality in the store with each collection. For goodness sake, I've seen free dresses with better design than the Chiko Slip Dress! Just compare the pumps in this collection with the Studded Stiettos from Velvet Orchid (a stunning Starcoin item, worn here and here) or take a look at the last two floors of Nelly itself to remind yourself how much better it was!
Now, that being said I do like the street style this store gravitates around, the pieces can be worked in a variety of styles and the colour scheme is to die for. The prices were relatively affordable with no Starcoins items but neither Superstar exclusive ones.


As I said, I went completely overboard this time, with more than one impulsive (and unnecessary purchase). I bought 21 items, which as I've stated is two thirds of the collection. I had just received my monthly Stardollars and I'm really bad at keeping money in my pockets (both real and virtual). What's even worst is that I'm still gunning for a few additional items like the Love Fighter Jeans (ripped boyfriend denim is hard not love) but I think I'll wait for a sale. The reason I got so overwhelmed with this collection is because it sticks very close to my real life style - large handbags, long jackets and oversized sweaters. Let's take a look at what I bought and why:


1. Off Shoulder Heavy Knit - 24SD
    This was one of my more unconsidered purchases, yes it's pretty, the colour is versatile and the shape is interesting but I'm quite unsure how it will look when I try to layer it, especially over a dress (with a belt underneath, may be?) and the price is a bit steep. Still, it looks so cozy and fluffy and comfortable I just couldn't help myself. Plus, the off shoulder sweater is a personal favourite of  mine in real life.
2. Tartan Wool Scarf - 13SD
    The previous one may have been unconsidered, this was unneeded and unnecessary - he graphic is flat and unrealistic, the shading is terrible... I honestly don't have a single good thing to say about this scarf. So why did I buy it then? Because it's a scarf, a tartan scarf at that! I love scarves in real life and I often try to work them in my doll's outfits but I'm having trouble finding the right shape or colour and this is why I keep buying new ones - I need to have as many alternatives as possible. However if, unlike me, you're a sane person, I would not recommend buying it, especially for that price.
3. Quilted Backpack - 18SD
    I don't wear backpack in real life. Often I wish I did (when going out for a bike ride or a concert) and if I had a similar one, I'd put it on a bit more often. Stardoll does leather well and this is no exception, the design is not bad at all, but the most important thing about this is piece is the way it's worn - it's unusual and eye-catching. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't always fit too well with bulkier tops and jackets.
4. Tres en Vouge Sweatshirt - 19SD
    Oversized sweatshirt. In black. With awesome print. Should I say more?
5. Cetus Skirt - 14SD
    I actually wasn't planning on buying this - I really like the texture of the fabric, the shading is also surprisingly good but the pockets ruin it for me. The main reason it turned up in this haul is my recently discovered need of good undergarments when resized clothes show the skin of my doll underneath. Additionally I think it looks quite good hidden by the oversized sweatshirt and I may toy with that idea.
6. Tartan Socks - 8SD
    I got these for pretty much the same reason I bought the scarf. The difference is that I actually think they are reasonably well made. I've already seen them worn in a few interesting ways so I'm looking forward to using them myself. 
7. Platform Ankle Boots - 13SD
    I find it sad that these I are the only shoes I liked from the entire collection. Usually there are some killer heels in Nelly but not this time around. These are pretty ordinary but I love the shiny leather, the chunky heel and, most of all, the ankle strap. 
8. Twist It Down Tee - 16SD
     This tee is amazing for so many reasons! First of all, it's very well made. Secondly, the twist at the bottom is one of those realistic details I love so much and it looks great tucked in. Finally, the colour - the light grey is such  refreshing change from the classical white but it's just as versatile. 16SD for a T-shirt may seem like a bit much but it's so worth it!
9. Tartan shirt - 15SD
    I bought this out of sheer frustration that I don't have the Young Hollywood one. It's not nearly as good but it's as close I'll get. I'm still not sure how much use I'll get out of it but we'll see.
10. Vegan Leather Pants - 17SD
       At first glance I didn't like those - the crotch looks weird and the graphics could've used more work but the more I looked at them, the more I liked them. I noticed they are cropped above the ankles, the hem line, the wrinkles around the kneed. And then I realised I actually like them! They are more elegant than the pair in Original Future yet more casual than those released in the Dior Tribute earlier this summer.
11. Urban Expression Bag - 15SD
      The bags in this collection are definitely top notch . I love large handbags and when I see one in StarPlaza I'm always drooling over it. I like the zippiers and the handing strap but I'm not so keen on the gold details. Still, it's an interesting enough piece and I know I'll get a lot of use out of it.
12. NLY Cardigan - 22SD
      Yet another item stolen right out of my real closet. I have a super long cotton cardi in this exact shade, how could I not get the Stardoll version as well?  
13. NLY Dress - 20SD
     I really like this dress paired with the cardigan. On it's own, not so much. I love the top part -the girly jewel decoration contrasts so well with the dark colour but the skirt has a little bit more volume than I would've liked it to. I purchased it for two main reasons: 1. when a tad enlarged it would do a great job as a back part of the cardigan when worn with jeans or short skirts/ dresses and 2. with a nice skirt covering the bottom part the top would look awesome! I already have a few outfits in mind!
14. Box Sunglasses - 9SD
      I didn't buy those to wear them (or at least not on my doll's face. In hand - may be), I'm putting together a sunglasses display in my main room and I'm trying to fill it in. And these are a pretty spectacular pair to look at.
15. Oversized Coat - 28SD
      The most expensive item in the collection is certainly not for everyone, though I do not consider it overpriced - most coats currently in store are all in the 20-30 SD range. There is something masculine in the silhouette, the bended collard is an unique little touch and the golden zippier is an eye-catching detail. It's as versatile as most coats on Stardoll can be but for me personally, it's a nice addition to my wardrobe.
16. Stripped Top - 12SD
      I have strong mixed feelings about this top. I bought it because I really hate splitting sets (though I rarely wear them together), I like the skirt combo and the print is quite cool. I also like how it looks under the coat and I can see it paired with high-waited trousers. All that being said... it just looks so flat! 
17. Stripped Skirt - 13SD
      I may be unsure about the top, but this skirt I love! It's minimalistic but it also demands attention and I can already see it worn in so many different ways from business smart to sporty casual. For 13SD, I'd call that a bargain!
18. Everyday Bag - 13SD
      Here we are - my favourite piece of the collection. Remember how in my Original Future haul I complained about Guitar Strap Purse costing 13SD? Well, compare it to this leathery perfection and tell me that they are worth the same. This is the ultimate handbag - smart, simple, elegant, exceptionally well made. If I only had to buy one item from this release, this would be it!
19. Wool Fedora - 9SD
      Hats are a guilty pleasure of mine, especially fedoras. I know they don't fit my doll and yet I keep buying them. I can't help myself! Absolutely wasteful purchase but... I'm not even try to justify that one, moving along!
20. Black and White Cardigan - 26SD
      This one reminds me of an Antidote fur jacket I would never pay hundreds of Stardollars for no matter how much I like it. I'm quite happy I found cheaper and perfectly decent alternative.
21. Kayleigh Collar Top - 15SD
      Collar top with sheer details and pretty embroidery. How could anyone say "no" to that?

Dear God, that was a long post! I don't even want to do the math to see how much I've spent (and trust me, I already did!). All in all, I'm quite happy (and a little bit ashamed) about my purchases given that most of the things I've bought are pretty basic and versatile. Still, the sheer work of listing them all here is enough to dissuade me from similar shopping sprees in the foreseeable future. The 25th issue of Callie's Picks came out today and I'll cover it as soon as possible before I get back to my yellow dresses.
A.

No comments:

Post a Comment