Saturday, November 1, 2014

Haul: ModBod


Happy Halloween, everyone! (Yes, I stared this post yesterday morning) I hope you all had exiting plans for last night and interesting costumes to match them! Unfortunately for me, Halloween is not really a thing in my country (although in recent ears that is slowly changing) AND I had kind of a bad and busy week so I settled for a calm night in with my boyfriend catching up on this week's TV series (and the occasional trick-or-treaters interrupting it).
Luckily, the rest of the world is not as boring as I am and Stardoll has been gearing up for tonight all week long, starting with this incredible new store, released on Monday. I love the whole concept, build around classic scary costumes rather than couture pieces forced to fit the Halloween theme (I'll get to that later today/ tomorrow ). I know it's hard to see that from the looks I've posted here so far, but one of my favourite thing to do around Stardoll is to create elaborate gowns and/or outfits inspired by my favourite characters and now BodMod has given me plenty to work with and I already have a bunch of ideas.
An added bonus is the fact that the store is surprisingly affordable with the most expensive item costing 26SD and four items in Starcoins (only two of which are worth your attention in my opinion). The other thing that caught my attention is that most of the more wearable pieces (the Skele Torn Tee, the Demon Coat, the Werewolf Torn Jeans) are Superstar exclusive.


I must admit I bought more than the half store out and I'm considering combing back for more (especially given my disappointment over the Couture Tribute). I really don't have anything bad to say about this collection - yes, some of the pieces are a bit too much for me (Warewolf Legs, seriously?) but it's a Halloween themed store and there should be something for everyone. The Beauty Parlor items are quite interesting but I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of them and I will not be including them in the post, however I will say that I'm in love with the Skeleton and Zombie faces - the first one fits the theme of my blog so perfectly and the other will be featured in a Lady Stoneheart  (huge Game of Thrones spoiler alert!) inspired look some time soon.
Now to the rest of the store, I'm having an incredibly difficult time deciding on a favourite piece or even look all together - both gowns are stunning, the zombie body is out-of-this-world-awesome, the werewolf top just fits spot on in my personal real life style, the coat is so fashionable, the doll dress is beautiful and creepy and romantic all at the same time and the skeleton outfit is made for this blog! I adore them all!


1. Zombie Hair - 9SD
   I honestly don't think I would've purchased this if it didn't fit the current hairstyle my doll is wearing so well. Plus the dirt and the blood in the raggedy hair make it extra-creepy. 
2. Zombie Dress - 17SD
   Again, I love the dirty, bloody and torn fabric but I relay don't think I'll be using it in a zombie outfit as suggested in the store. I see it more in a warrior-like look layered with leathers and metals or as part of a Dothraki inspired look with (again) leather and earthy colours.
3. Zombie Body - 14SD
   As I've said. my first though when I saw this was Lady Stoneheart but there are so much more delightfully creepy and intriguing thing one can do with it. Just browse around and be amazed of variety of creative ways people have styled it.
4. Ghost Hair - 14SD
    Truth time: I hate horror movies! I don't mean all horror films, of course - meaningful films with interesting plots and horror elements don't bother me. I love Coppola's Dracula or Interview with a Vampre. I enjoy Tim Burton's quirkiness and I'm often fascinated with mystery thrillers. I'm not afraid of blood or monsters, I just can't stand cheap scares, sloppy acting and predictability. So when I first so this hair, so clearly inspired by Samara from The Ring I almost dismissed it immediately but I realised it has some potential, especially in decorating.
5. Vampire Dress - 18SD
    Dark, and long, and torn - what's not to love about this dress? Yes, it's ungodly impractical but it's meant as a costume! Plus, it would work so well in historical outfits. By the way, I really hate the Vampire arms that go with it, yes I know posed items are currently huge on Stardoll but to me they just look odd.
6. Skeleton Hood - 9SD
    The main reason I'm impressed with this item has nothing to do with Halloween and it's the sheer fact that for the second time this year Stardoll has released an item that can be considered a hijab, which is very considerate for both users who admire the Islamic culture and people who are actually part of it. Additionally, it reminds be of the hood Death wore in The Seventh Seal and I'm sure it can be adapted into various looks, even more casual ones. 
7. Skele Torn Tee - 14SD
    I have said that I have a sore spot for puns and this tee is named ridiculously funny! The top itself is  pretty damn awesome - very casual and relaxed but it makes one hell of a statement, especially when it's not worn as part of a costume.
-About the dress: in the picture above I've used the Basics Black Fitted Dress and I do know that it's almost identical with the Skeleton dress from BodMod. The main difference is the price (50SC vs 9SD) but if before the store closes they have a clearing sale I WILL buy the Skeleton dress because its length is perfect (unlike the way-too-short Basics one) and that makes all the difference!
8. Skeleton Body - 16SD
    Last year for Halloween ilgd made put together this amazing post on the Stardoll Broadcast. The first look, crated by Miss.Gothic.999 literally haunted me all year long. I'm terrible with hair designs and I'm so happy that now I can finally put together a similar outfit. Now, I would've preferred if the base colour of the body was black instead of white and I would've loved it it the components were separate - a set of leggings, torso and gloves but I'm still pretty satisfied.
9. Skeleton Heels - 10SD
    I love extraordinary shoes and this pair has a very editorial vibe while at the same time remains relatively wearable in a non-costume capacity. 
10. Ghost Crown - 89SC
     I adore this piece so much for so many reasons: 1. It's incredibly cheap, 2. It makes for an amazing statement accessory in any costume, 3. It reminds of the the crown worn by the Kings in North in ASOIF, which consists of long iron spikes and 4. It could be used as a corset decoration (and it looks stunning, by the way). Definitely a must-have!
11. Ghost Veil - 5SD
      Veils are so versatile! Apart from their conventional use they could be used to add dimension to skits and dresses and be layered in elaborate outfits.
12. Ghostly Gown - 18SD
       I don't think I could put my fascination with this piece in words - it's magnificent. The idea was amazing and the execution - flawless. The details are amazing, the colour - spot on.  
13. Demon Horns - 9SD
      I really like this piece but I was hesitant to buy it because I am not sure how much use would I get out of it. However it's lovely and unusual and unconventional and I would've regretted not getting it. Plus, it look amazing paired with long black hair underneath.
14. Demon Jacket - 26SD
      This, apart from being a Superstar exclusive, is the most expensive item in the collection and it's totally worth it! I know that I will use it a lot and for a so simple item (a black coat) it's so elaborate and interesting and well designed. I just couldn't pass it. 
15. Demon Shoes - 12SD
       I have strong mixed feelings about these - the heel is amazing, the front part is a bit too much for me. In all honesty I bought them by mistake and a part of me regrets it but at some pint I will try to put them to good use (or just sell them once the store is gone)
16. Doll Hair - 15SD
      Red hair is a weakness of mine. Until recently I had been dyeing my naturally brunette hair red for five years and my obsession with redheads was transferred on Stardoll as well - I buy every red dye that is released and I deeply regret that they are not more hair designers that make red wigs. Needless to say, the moment I saw this one I felt comped to own it.
17. Doll Arms - 117SC and 18. Doll Legs - 8SD
      And Courtney Love's voice singing Doll Parts in my head. I wasn't planing on purchasing the legs because I neither like them all that much nor do I think they are worth 8SD but hated breaking up the set. The hands, on the other hand (get it?) are a pretty good deal if you're looking for something to spend your coins on.
19. Doll Dress - 17SD
      This dress is absolutely a must have. It has that costume-t quality to it because of the torn top part (which in all honesty could've used a little more work) but the skirt is so lovely and romantic and it can be used on its own just by easily covering the top part.    
20. Werewolf Ears - 2x4SD
      Animal ears are not new on Stardoll, but these stand out because unlike any released before they are not attached to a headband or a hat and that gives them greater versatility.
21. Werewolf Hair - 13SD
      I'm so disappoint in this one - the style is stunning but the execution falls short. And the colour is not that flattering either. But this too has some potential, if not for medoll, at least for decorating. 
22. Werewolf Tanktop - 13SD
    This is another one of my favourites in this collection - the print is awesome, the texture is interesting, the tears are made so well - they fit the Halloween theme but they also have a simple distressed quality which makes the top wearable at any time.I love the asymmetry that was crated by tucking a long top relatively high (even tough it limits the number of things you can pair it with).
A.

No comments:

Post a Comment