Thursday, October 16, 2014

Haul: Callie’s Picks - The Art Of Contrast


Last week we got our 26th edition of Callie's Picks a day late - on Thursday. Every time when we're about to receive a new collection a get supper exited and hopeful only to be disappointed with the release itself. Not that it's a bad one. mind you, but there was hardly anything in it that I wanted and didn't already had. However, I'll get to that later. This time the theme was "The Art of Contrast" and the collection was build around the lovely premise of black and white with a pieces from Chanel Tribute and Windows of the World items. The prices ranged from 5 - 40 SD with three items in StarCoins and noting exclusive for SuperStars. Additionally we got a few male pieces and a decor item. Finally, I must say that the store is laid out unusually well for the brand.


As I said above, even though I like the theme, the layout and most of the items, I was disappointed with the release because I already owned most of the things I wanted. I ended up purchasing only four items - two pairs of shoes, the White Showpiece Beret and the dog. I'm still considering Whether or not to buy the Iman Black Top. Just like last time, we're gonna take a look at everything from the collection that I have and I'm going to share my opinions on the pieces:


1. Leo Vest - Callie’s Picks price - 9SD, originally from Fallen Angel for 78SC
    I rarely buy male clothing I don't think I would've spend 9 SD for this vest. But a while back it was a pretty decent StarCoin item with simple design, basic colour and an aye-catching detail. Back in these days, it was a steal!
2. Black Hat - Callie’s Picks price - 6SD, originally from Alice + Olivia Tribute, bought from StarBazzar for 18SD
    Fedora! A black one, that fits a bit better on my doll than most others. When I found it for 18SD (three times its current price) I was trilled. I find the name a bit funny, given that it's obviously dark blue but it's still awesome. No regrets!
3. Fishnet Dress - Callie’s Picks price - 16SD, originally from Archive for 4SD
    I was hesitant to buy this while it was on sale years ago but I find it interesting enough to do so. I don't think I would've paid 16SD for it but I can see how a few very originals takes on it.
4. CC Leather Chain Tights - Callie’s Picks price - 24SD, originally from Chanel Tribute for 22SD
   I got these when they were originally released because I loved (and still do) the idea of wearing them as boots - I just put a pair of tight overknee HB boots I own - a match made in Haven if there ever was one. I'm not particularly fond of them worn as tights and they are less than versatile but I still think they are worth it.
5. Vulcan Shoes - Callie’s Picks price - 7SD 
    These are one of the few items I actually bought from the collection. They are nothing spacial but recently I found myself really into wedge shoes in RL and I just couldn't pass them. Plus, I do appreciate the sparkling detail! 
6. Classic Black Handbag - Callie’s Picks price - 7SD, originally from Decades for 53SC
   I know for sure you'll get your money's worth of this - I've used it a ton of times and I find it incredibly easy to fit in an outfit. It's simple, elegant and, as its name suggests - classic item you just can't g wrong with. Back when it was in StarPlaza it was undoubtedly one of my must haves not only for its versatility but also due to it's negligible price in StarCoins. 
7. Black Wrap Blazer Dress - Callie’s Picks price - 22SD, originally from Windows of the World for 13SD
   For almost double its original price, I still believe this blazer is the best piece of clothing in the collection. It fits perfectly, it can be used both as a blazer and on its own as a dress and it's classy beyond words! Had I not had it already I would've bought it in a heartbeat!  
8. Black Folds Belt - Callie’s Picks price - 69SC, originally from Windows of the World for 3SD
   Even tough I already owned the original, I purcahed this one again - it's in StarCoins, it's interesting and unusual and it could be used in a variety of different ways with just a little imagination.
9. White Showpiece Beret - Callie’s Picks price - 5SD
    I so wish they had released the black version of this as well (or even instead)! I just find it more versatile and I like the Black Widow quality it has. But what can I do? So I slowed my regret up and purcahed the white one.
10. White BillieJ Shoes - Callie’s Picks price - 9SD, originally from Denim & Supply - Ralph Lauren for 9SD
      Basic white shoes are more rare on Stardoll than you might think and they can be quite useful. Additionally, these were one of the best currently in the StarPlaza so you might want to consider them.
11. CC Hearts Tee - Callie’s Picks price - 34SD, originally from Chanel Tribute for 32SD
    Now, I'm not a huge fan of clothes that have a brand time on them but the two tops that were released in the last Chanel Tribute (the other one worn here) that I could not resist them. The tees are just so well made! The fabric looks incredibly soft and relaxed which makes them both very casual while the high-end brand adds a classier (or ironic, depending on how you style them) touch.
12. White Two Prong Belt - Callie’s Picks price - 57SC, originally from Windows of the World for 15SC
      A perfectly nice, versatile accessory with an interesting detail. And it is for StarCoins. Need I say more?
13. Scandinavian Grey Shorts - Callie’s Picks price - 9SD, originally from Windows of the World for 9SD
    Now, these I wouldn't recommend - the design itself is a bit flat and that zipper makes them downright ugly.  The only reason I actually bought them back in the day was that they went together with a really awesome jacket and, as I've said before - I hate separating sets. That being said, these collect virtual dust in my storage while the jacket has an honoured place in my doll's closet.
14. Safety Strap Boots - Callie’s Picks price - 9SD, originally from Tingeling for 7SD
      These are too cool not buy! The buckles make them so uniquely interesting that it's impossible to resist them. And the best part - they can be layered under other  ankle boots so you can add the same effect to numerous pairs. Isn't this a deal?
15. Basque Sleeveless Top - Callie’s Picks price - 14SD, originally from Windows of the World for 12SD
      I think this top is a bit overpriced for it's quality but it's such a classical piece which translates very well from formal to casual. That being said, currently in StarPlaza there are a few other alternatives that deserve your attention.
16. Stunning Falls Scarf - Callie’s Picks price - 7SD, originally from Tingeling for 2SD
      This is yet another lovely piece. Its beauty lies in its simplicity, which also makes it as versatile as you can imagine it to be. The design itself adds movement and realism to any look and that is something to be appreciated.
17. Classic Chain Strap Purse - Callie’s Picks price - 40SD, originally from Chanel Tribute for 40SD
       Surprisingly the most expensive item of the collection is an accessory. Even more surprisingly it's price is exactly the same as it was when it was realised in the first ever Tribute store on Stardoll back in 2010. I've had it since then and I've used it quite often. I like how large it is and its neural colour. The design is not flawless, especially the strap could've used a little more work but as a whole I like it. The main question is: Is it work 40 StarDollars? To me, back in the day, it was. I've used it a ton of times and I will in the future. Still, since 2010 we've had a bunch of great alternatives, including numerous other Chanel inspired purses for way more reasonable prices. Plus, now there are are way more place were you might want to spend your money. Still, I don't think I've ever seen it in the Bazaar and if you want it, now may be your best chance. In the end, it's up to you decide.
18. Black White Heels - Callie’s Picks price - 6SD 
      I actually bought those a bit after my initial purchases.For some reason I had overlooked them at first but after I noticed them I found that every time I look at them, I like them a little bit more. The  mixed prints are gorgeous, the laces are interestingly loose and the heel is not too high. I think they would look amazing with monochrome outfits and I can't wait to style them.
19. Black And White Dog - Callie’s Picks price - 8SD
      Look at how cute he is! I so don't need yet another dog but I was so disappointed from the fact that I had most of the items in the collection that I had to console myself with this adorableness. 

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment